To the REALTORS® Association of Maui
AGRICULTURAL TO RURAL WEBPAGE
Thank you for visiting RAM’s Agricultural To Rural Webpage. This page was created by the REALTORS® Association of Maui (RAM) because our association is very interested in promoting Property Owners Rights and because we believe that good planning is one of those essential rights. We contacted you because your property is among those being considered for a significant planning change. RAM believes you deserve to be informed about what is being proposed.
Recently, Haiku property owners received a letter from the County Planning Department describing a debate at the County Council regarding your property. That debate:
- Deals with the Maui Island Plan and long-term county planning
- It proposed that certain Maui properties be transitioned from agricultural to rural planning, and evidently rural zoning.
- This change is meant to reclassify these properties without changing their density, taxes, right to farm, types of improvements allowed.
- It would eliminate the requirement that you farm these properties. Farming would become a choice instead of a requirement.
- It would also ultimately shift the governance over these properties from the state Legislature to the County Council.
- This proposal is supported by the Maui Farm Bureau, the Maui Vacation Rental Association, and the Realtors Association of Maui.
To learn more about this issue, select from the following topics: